Ever hear the term MTL or mouth-to-lung while visiting your local vape shop, but were too shy to ask what it meant? In the following article, we explore the difference between mouth-to-lung and direct-to-lung vaping.
The world of vaping might seem simple at first glance. Surely, vaping is more or less the same as smoking a cigarette, right?
Well, not exactly.
When you first get into vaping, you’ll see acronyms and hear terms that you’ve probably never come across before.
For some, this can be overwhelming.
But the good news is that vaping isn’t all that complicated once you’re familiar with some of the less conventional terms.
Two acronyms you’ll often come across are mouth-to-lung (MTL) and direct-to-lung (DTL).
What Is Mouth-To-Lung Vaping?
Both MTL and DTL are basic inhalation methods, but choosing the right one could be the difference between enjoying what you’re doing and being turned off for good.
If you’ve ever smoked cigarettes, mouth-to-lung is something you’ve already been doing.
MTL vaping method mimics smoking a cigarette, which is why it’s a good option for beginners.
You inhale the vapour created by your e-cigarette, and it travels into your mouth first and then into your lungs secondly—just the same as smoking a cigarette.
An MTL vaping kit usually consists of a coil that vaporizes the liquid to a higher temperature and resistance level. In this case, you’re usually looking at over 1 ohm.
This means the vapour you inhale is delivered at a lower rate, meaning you’re not getting an intense hit from the get-go, mimicking the traditional way you would smoke a cigarette.
However, MTL isn’t the only option, and if you want to be sure that you’re getting the most out of your vaping endeavours, you should learn about DTL too.
MTL Vs. DTL Vaping
We’ve already mentioned that DTL means direct-to-lung, which is simply another method of inhalation.
Experienced vapers often prefer DTL vaping devices, but that doesn’t mean beginners can’t give it a try if it’s what they’re looking for.
In the case of DTL vaping, you inhale the vapour directly to your lungs, precisely the same as regular breathing. It can take some practice, and it may not come naturally to you, but it’s the preferred option for more experienced vapers who prefer a more intense hit.
When using DTL vaping kits, the vapour is designed to be a little stronger, which can be a bit much for those who are just starting.
E-cigarettes intended for this type of vaping are often more expensive and usually come with a few extra features.
Firstly, the ohm, or resistance level is usually below 1 for DTL vaping, which means the vapour delivered is a bit more potent.
You’ll also find that most DTL vape devices allow you to tweak the ohm measurement, so you can choose how dense you want the vapour to be.
The main difference is simply that MTL means you’re vaping in a way that mimics the regular smoking experience.
DTL, on the other hand, is less like smoking and more like normal breathing.
As a result, beginners usually prefer MTL, but that doesn’t rule out DTL if you want a slightly more potent hit.
Pros And Cons Of Mouth-To-Lung Vaping
Whether you’re interested in MTL or DTL, as with anything on this earth, both have their pros and cons.
To make an informed decision, you need to weigh up both sides of the argument.
Pros of MTL Vaping
- A good choice for beginners since MTL vaping is very similar to regular smoking.
- A lower level of vapour means that less juice is used. so you’re getting more bang for your buck.
- MTL kits are basic and easy to use.
- If you’re all about the vape flavour, this method allows you to truly enjoy the taste of the vapour, similar to the way a cigar is enjoyed.
Cons of MTL Vaping
- A less personalized method of vaping. With DTL vapes, you can usually adjust the ohm level, but with MTL devices, you generally can’t.
- It may not be enough of a hit for those who prefer a more dense vape experience.
- A weaker hit may cause you to vape more often, therefore costing you more over the long-term.
What Are the Best MTL Vape Kits Available?
A quick search online will show you the massive range of MTL vape brands and styles you can choose from. They’re very plentiful, which might give you a headache from the get-go if you’re trying to make a decision.
The good news is that there are some stand-out brands known for producing quality products and vape devices.
Here are a few vape kits you might like to check out for yourself:
- SMOK Nord X – This kit can be used as both MTL and DTL, with features that let you switch between the two.
- KOKO Prime (Uwell) – The KOKO Prime is one of the most popular beginner vape kits. Not only is it easy to use, but it looks the part too. There are two settings so you can adjust your airflow accordingly.
- Innokin Endura M18 – This is another smart option for beginners, and the battery is strong enough to last a whole day without a recharge.
- VooPoo Vinci Pod Mod – This is another kit that you can use for both MTL and DTL. It also has plenty of power to get you through the day. For beginners, this is a good option in terms of price.
Which is Better – MTL or DTL?
There is no clear-cut answer to that question. The choice really depends on what you want and what you can handle.
If you’re new to vaping, there’s no question that MTL is an easier and more natural inhalation method.
However, that doesn’t mean it’s the right fit for everyone. For instance, if you want a strong hit of vapour, DTL devices might be the better choice.
Finally, it’s important to remember that there are countless MTL vaping kits on the market, including many different brands and styles.
So make sure you shop around and find something that’s the best fit for you.